Year 6 East Football Tournament

The St Theresa’s Football team set off on the 232 towards Friern Barnet Powerleague hoping to do better than their 3rd place finish in this competition last year. With a 10 minute snow fall and the temperature extremely low, the boys made sure they wrapped up and arrived at the tournament in high spirits and full of confidence. 

The team were put into a very challenging group and from the 1st minute of their first game it was clear this would be a very competitive tournament. After a shaky first few minutes the team put a excellent move together which resulted in Samuel scoring to make it 1 nil to St Theresa’s. He swiftly followed this up with another goal to allow St Theresa’s to win their first game 2 nil. The boys followed this up with another 2 nil victory before defeating Osidge 3 nil with some of the year 5 players really showing why they have been brilliant additions to the team this year. With confidence high the boys then became slightly complacent and drew their penultimate game 2 all meaning they had to win convincingly to ensure progression into the knockout round. 

The boys really rose to the occasion and were ruthless in their finishing and pressing of the opposition. Aiden and Hugo in particular stood out as the team went on to put 5 past their opponents whilst Alfie and Benny ensured that any threat of a counter attack was thwarted by their excellent defending. 5 nil the final results putting St Theresa’s into the semi- final. 

The semi was a extremely cagey affair with both teams striking the post on numerous occasions. the 7 minute game was not enough to separate the sides and a penalty shootout was decided. Samuel Aiden and Benny (just!) put their penalties away leaving the Holy Trinity penalty taker needing to score to bring the shootout into sudden death. A well struck penalty into the top corner seemed to be enough until Daniel managed to throw himself into  the air and pull off a fantastic save which brought cheers from all the spectators. We were in the final and had managed to get further than last year. 

The final ending up being a East End Road derby as we were up against a really tough Akiva side, who we will be playing in the Barnet Cup in a matter of weeks.  With fatigue setting in and 2 quick fire Akiva goals the boys sadly came out second best in the final and had to make do with runners up medals. However the boys really showed that on their day they can be anybody, something we will remember for our next couple of games before the end of the season. They showed great sportsmanship and should be extremely proud of their efforts. Well done!